This double Silver Duke of Ed Adventurous Journey completes both your Practice and Qualifying Adventurous Journeys over 5 days, 4 nights.
Due to the challenges we’re all facing with COVID-19, the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award has deemed a Silver Practice Journey may be undertaken over 2 days/1 night if according to your Award Leader, all these criteria are met:
- Demonstrated competence in the mode of travel and the environment (location) and conditions (time of year)
- Demonstrated overnight simple self-catering/camping experience
- Demonstrated positive team dynamics
- Agreed to by the Adventurous Journey Assessor (us)
- Approved by the Award Leader IN ADVANCE. This is very important! Your Award Leader might like to read this information on the Duke of Ed Australia website before approving your journey.
Supervisors are qualified in Outdoor Recreation/Leadership, First-Aid, have Working have Children Check and carry first aid and emergency communication equipment.
Hill Street, Roseville NSW 2069
MEETING TIME DAY 1:
Hawkesbury River Station
Dangar Road, Brooklyn, NSW 2083.
GPS -33.547045, 151.226343
Approx. 5 pm.
GETTING TO AND FROM YOUR JOURNEY:
We have designed this route to allow for easy public transport usage as required. Check https://transportnsw.info/ for available times.
We recommend drinking a minimum of 2-litres of water per day plus carrying an extra 1-litre to cook with at night. 1-litre of water weighs 1 kg. Please keep this in mind when packing. After the first day you should adjust this up or down depending on your water intake.
Tap water is sometimes available at camp on Day 2, lunch on Day 3, early morning Days 4 and 5. We anticipate creek or dam water being available every day, but this is never certain. Water from creeks or dams needs to be treated before drinking.
Creek crossings occur everyday but the water level should be low enough to keep your feet dry. Supervisors will make decisions on creek crossings in the field.
Flush toilets are available at our campsite on the second night, lunch on Day 3 and the morning of Day 5. At all other times toilet waste must be buried and you will need to bring a trowel for this purpose.