Outward Bound’s Western Australia site is in the Walpole Wilderness area overlooking the Southern Ocean on the south west tip of the country. With sections in the Walpole-Nornalup National Park, Gardner State Forest and near the Bibbulmun Track, towering old growth Jarrah, Karri and Tingle forests remind of this ancient land, continually looked after by the Noongar people for thousands of years.
5 hours from Perth, Walpole isn’t your quick getaway. It’s a place to immerse yourself in the silence of the forest and the roar of the ocean on a longer expedition to distance yourself from the pace of modern life. Outward Bound’s base has rustic charm and breathtaking sunrise views over Nornalup Inlet. There are no cabins, it’s all camping for participants with flush toilets at base and non flushing toilets on expeditions.
Although some school groups do camp on base for younger programs, Walpole is a base for full expeditions in the Walpole Wilderness Area. We can alternate between the Bibbulmun Track and off track depending on participants and programs and we have a high ropes course and flying fox on base.
Outward Bound programs are designed to deliver the learning outcomes you want for your students. This is the starting point for our discussion and we build a program from there. A 5 - 10 day expedition out of Walpole, WA can include variations of the following activities.
- high ropes
Outward Bound Leadership programs aim to deliver a range of knowledge, skills, and experiences to help your team become more effective leaders. Program content will vary depending on your organisation’s specific goals and objectives, but all leadership programs will encourage understanding and development of different leadership styles, traits and characteristics; both of self and others. With strong focus on:
- Effective communication - active listening, effective feedback, and persuasive communication.
- Emotional Intelligence: self-awareness, empathy, and emotional regulation.
- Strategic Thinking: analyse complex situations, identify key factors, and develop effective strategies.
- Team Building and Collaboration: build trust, foster collaboration, and manage conflict.
- Ethics and Integrity: education and guidance on ethical decision-making and the importance of maintaining ethical standards.
10-day expeditions through the Walpole Wilderness Area make the trip down the southwest more than worthwhile. They are life-changing. Participants have the opportunity to grow through
- extended and challenging on or off-track hiking
- high ropes
- multi-day rafting expeditions
- environmental service: removing invasive snail species from coastal environment
- camping in bush and beach settings