Outward Bound Australia continually monitors weather and fire conditions and relies upon services including, but not limited to, the Bureau of Meteorology and Fire Services for daily updates and advice. Heading into the warmer months, and what is forecast to be a hot and dry summer, the following precautions are already in place:
- Daily review of fire danger rating for the next forecast period
- Minimum twice daily communication with group leaders in the field
- Long term weather forecast monitoring
- Long term fire danger ratings monitoring
In the case of temperature at or above 35C, strenuous activities cease until the weather cools off. This may entail early morning activities, a midday break or late afternoon activities to accommodate the program and conditions.
Depending on the fire danger rating released by the relevant state fire services, the programs may be either postponed or relocated to a more suitable location.
If applicable, we will work with relevant agencies and heed their advice in relation to evacuation recommendations. For each of the Australian Fire Danger Ratings, the following actions will take place:
- Catastrophic Fire Danger – all program activities cease, and participants are relocated to safe, readily accessible locations.
- Extreme Fire Danger – participants are relocated to safe, readily accessible locations and programs are modified as required.
- High Fire Danger – a review of each program and location, with modifications implemented, if required.
- Moderate Fire Danger – ongoing monitoring for any change.
Please note that the fire danger ratings for the next day are released at approximately 4pm the day prior and other notifications from authorities (such as National Park closures) can happen at any time.
In each location where Outward Bound operates, the response to Fire Danger and heatwave will vary.
- In Tharwa, ACT – groups can be relocated onto our National Campus or evacuated to Canberra and have access to the Murrumbidgee River for cooling off.
- In Buchan, Victoria – groups can be relocated onto our property on the Snowy River or evacuated to Orbost or Bairnsdale and have access to the Snowy River for cooling off.
- In Walpole, WA – groups can be relocated onto our property or evacuated to Walpole and have access to the Deep River for cooling off.
- For our DoE Programs – please refer to the DoE page for further information and updates.
The latest Seasonal Bushfire Outlook Spring 2023, issued by the National Council for Fire and Emergency Services, is a great resource to familiarise yourself with the complexities of a changing climate and fire risk.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 02 6235 5700 and dial 5 from the main menu.