Duke of Ed, Gold: Perth Hills Discovery Ctr to Brookton Highway, Bibbulmun Track
Although not exclusive, this journey is recommended for the Gold Qualifying Adventurous Journey.
Supervisors are qualified in First Aid, have Working with Children clearance and carry emergency communication equipment.
Perth Hills Discovery Centre
380 Allen Road
Mundaring WA 6073
GPS: -31.953902, 116.176996
MEETING TIME: 9:00am
Bibbulum Track and Brookton Highway crossing point
Lesley WA 6111
GPS: -32.203016, 116.294586
END TIME: Between 12pm and 1pm, depending on group decisions
Day 1 – Perth Hills Discovery Centre to Helena Camp
GPS of campsite: -31.981899, 116.248509
Day 2 – Helena Camp to Beraking Camp
Terrain: We continue past Waalegh Camp where we can refill water, so you don’t need to leave camp with water for the full 18km
GPS of campsite: -32.061888, 116.296289
Day 3 – Beraking Camp to Mt. Dale Camp
Terrain: We will take the side-track to the summit of Mt. Dale. From here we will spend time reviewing advanced navigation as we have a great view of the land around us.
GPS of campsite: -32.134612, 116.298939
Day 4 – Mt. Dale Camp to Brookton Highway
You need to bring all the gear you require for the entire journey. The registration fee for your journey DOES NOT include:
- Sleeping bag and mat
- Stove and food
- Other personal items
We endeavour to provide a safe but challenging environment for our participants. We believe that people grow and learn by taking a controlled level of risk in the outdoor learning environment.
As leaders in the Outdoor education field, we have developed, over 60 years, a comprehensive risk management system. This includes:
- Policies and procedures for the safe running and management of programs in line with the Australian Adventure Activity standards.
- Conducting annual internal audits, bi annual external audits, staff appraisals, staff training and bi monthly safety reviews.
- A comprehensive incident and near miss database (one of the best in the business) which allows us to track trends and work towards reducing the likelihood of accidents. This is greatly assisted by each participant completing a thorough medical & dietary form, before they arrive.
- A coordinated risk management plan that includes hiring procedures, written field operational standards and guidelines, operational training, program structure, reflection, evaluation and organizational culture.
- A dedicated manager responsible for Health, Safety and Risk.
Our safety record is extremely good, and we expect this will remain so due to robust policies, responsible management and continuous improvement.