Hike your Bronze Duke of Ed Adventurous Journey with Outward Bound Australia to achieve your goals!
The registration fee for your Bronze Duke of Ed Adventurous Journey includes:
- Fully supervised hike
- Pre-trip virtual preparation
- Group emergency communications
- Camping fees
- National park fees
- Access to maps
You need to bring all the gear you require for the entire journey. The registration fee for your journey DOES NOT include:
- Sleeping bag and mat
- Stove and food
- Other personal items
Length: 2 Days / 1 Night
- 16 – 17 January 2021
Yarragil Campsite to Swamp Oak Campsite
Grading: Easy, mostly flat
GPS of Campsite: -32.779878, 116.117440
Swamp Oak Campsite to Dwellingup
Grading: Easy, mostly flat
Although not exclusive, this journey is recommended for the Bronze Practice Adventurous Journey.
Outward Bound Australia’s Journey Supervisors are qualified in Outdoor Recreation, Wilderness First Aid; hold relevant Working With Children Check; and carry emergency communication equipment.
Western Australia 6215
GPS: -32.80541, 116.12493
Dwellingup playground and sports field
Western Australia 6213
GPS: -32.713035, 116.063764
Between 2pm and 3pm, depending on group decisions
We recommend drinking 3-litres of water per day, and carrying 1-litre additional for cooking/cleaning. 1-litre of water weighs 1kg; please keep this in mind when packing. You can adjust how much water you need to carry from the second day, depending on your personal intake and the day’s demands.
Water is available at the campsite and needs to be treated before use.
Toilets are available at the campsite. At all other times toilet waste must be buried. You will need to provide a small trowel for this purpose.
Why Outward Bound
Outward Bound is the leading provider of experiential and outdoor education programs for youth and adults. Regardless of who you are or where you are from, there is an Outward Bound program that is right for you.
Outward Bound exists to empower people to discover, develop and achieve their full potential as individuals and future leaders.
Outward Bound empowers school students, communities and young professionals to reach beyond their limits through exhilarating outdoor education programs that take participants to a place apart and challenge them to reach their full potential. They return with a new outlook on life and the world. Over 350,000 Australians (school students, professionals, community partners and individuals) have completed a challenging outdoor program in stunning locations across Australia since 1956.
In harnessing people’s strengths, we aim to develop the most positive elements of the human character consistent with our core values of integrity, responsibility, resilience, compassion, service and human potential.
At Outward Bound we take safety seriously
We endeavour to provide a safe but challenging environment for our participants. We believe that people grow and learn by taking a controlled level of risk in the outdoor learning environment.
As leaders in the Outdoor education field, we have developed, over 60 years, a comprehensive risk management system. This includes:
- Policies and procedures for the safe running and management of programs in line with the Australian Adventure Activity standards.
- Conducting annual internal audits, bi annual external audits, staff appraisals, staff training and bi monthly safety reviews.
- A comprehensive incident and near miss database (one of the best in the business) which allows us to track trends and work towards reducing the likelihood of accidents. This is greatly assisted by each participant completing a thorough medical & dietary form, before they arrive.
- A coordinated risk management plan that includes hiring procedures, written field operational standards and guidelines, operational training, program structure, reflection, evaluation and organizational culture.
- A dedicated manager responsible for Health, Safety and Risk.
Our safety record is extremely good, and we expect this will remain so due to robust policies, responsible management and continuous improvement.