At Outward Bound we take safety seriously.
We endeavour to provide a safe but challenging environment for our participants. We believe that people grow and learn by taking a controlled level of risk in the outdoor learning environment.
As leaders in the Outdoor education field, we have developed, over 60 years, a comprehensive risk management system. This includes:
- policies and procedures for the safe running and management of programs in line with the Australian Adventure Activity standards and international standards
- conducting annual internal audits, bi annual external audits, staff appraisals, staff training and bi monthly safety reviews.
- a comprehensive incident and near miss database (one of the best in the business) which allows us to track trends and work towards reducing the likelihood of accidents. This is greatly assisted by each participant completing a thorough medical & dietary form, before they arrive.
- a coordinated risk management plan that includes hiring procedures, written field operational standards and guidelines, operational training, program structure, reflection, evaluation and organizational culture.
- a dedicated manager responsible for Health, Safety and Risk.
Our safety record is extremely good, and we expect this will remain so due to robust policies, responsible management and continuous improvement.
We encourage parents and participants to familiarise themselves with the Risk Management Policy available to view via the link above.